Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Culture House and Project Update

Hello everyone,


I have now been in Sweden for almost a week. After getting to know my neighborhood I started to explore downtown Stockholm, and I have found a gem: the Kulturhuset, or Culture House. I found this center because it was the closest place of interest (according to my Lonely Planet guide) to the T-Centralen, which is the central metro and train station. At first I thought the first floor was a bookstore, but later I learned that the Culture House holds many public libraries, including specific collections of graphic novels and children's literature. It's a funky building with glass windows facing a plaza and an amazing view of the skyline. On the children's library floor, there are indoor playgrounds with kids running around. Another floor is a gallery, which currently has an exhibition on Street Art. But my favorite floor of all is definitely the very top. The Culture House has a rooftop cafe that looks out over Stockholm. Not only does it have good food, but the cafe has gallons of flavored water available for its customers. I can buy a sandwich and sit around sipping unlimited lime- and mint-infused water while looking out over Stockholm and planning my afternoon. Since I have to go to the T-Centralen to get into the city every time, this cafe is really convenient. I like that I now have a favorite place in town. It has a nicer atmosphere than the chain coffee stores, and it definitely sports a better view. 


Now that you know of my rooftop haunt and my love of mint-infused water, I should give an update on my project. I have been emailing quite a few people to discuss interviewing them or visiting sites and museums. Unfortunately, people in Sweden like to take vacation in July. However, I have a few interviews set up for later in July and in August. Also, there's a lot I can do on my own, like visit the Vasa Museum and the Swedish National Maritime Museum. Later I will speak to people from these museums, but first I want to explore them from an outside perspective. While these first few weeks might not be the most productive for my project, I have time to explore Stockholm's other wonders. 


My most exciting news this week relating to my project is that I have been invited to visit an excavation site at the island Björkö. This will be in late August, as that's when my contact is available to meet with me. But I'm psyched that I've been invited to go to a current excavation site, which is for a submerged area of a viking settlement. 


I thought at first that I'd focus on two specific wrecks in Sweden, but the more research I've been doing, the more interested I am in the country's underwater heritage as a whole. There are thousands of shipwrecks in Sweden, and I don't want to limit myself to researching organizations and programs that work with only a couple. For example, I hadn't heard of the excavation Björkö until this week, when the head of the archaeology unit of the Swedish National Maritime Museum invited me to visit it. They are excavating submerged ruins, so I think the site is quite relevant to my project.If the opportunity arises to learn about a new site, I won't say no. 


I've quickly learned that there's only so much you can research ahead of time. Being in the country makes it a lot easier to make contacts and create concrete plans. I must admit, I have been a little shocked (in a good way) at how willing people are to meet with me and help with my fellowship. I'm kind of in awe that I can simply send an email to a curator of a huge museum and have the person not only respond,  but give great advice for other contacts. Some people have even emailed me back while on their vacations. Their responses via email alone show me how dedicated they are to underwater heritage and sharing their knowledge. I cannot wait to meet these people in person! 


~Kristine

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! Congratulations on the Björkö invitation!

    -Naomi

    ReplyDelete